NOTICE is hereby given that the Dunmore Borough Civil Service Commission has approved the scheduling of civil service exams for creation of certified list of applicants for entry level position within the Fire Department as follows:
September 18, 2021, 10:00am at Marywood University: Physical Fitness Exams (Entry Level – Fire)
October2, 2021, 9:00am at Dunmore High School: Written Exams (Entry Level– Fire)
October 16, 2021, 9:00am at Dunmore Borough Building: Oral Examinations (Entry Level– Fire)
Entry Level Qualifications – Fire Department
At the time of application every applicant for an entry level position in the Fire Department shall possess the following qualifications:
- Possess a diploma from an accredited high school or a graduate equivalency diploma (GED).
- Be a United States Citizen.
- Be physically and mentally fit to perform the full duties of a Full-Time Firefighter for the Dunmore Borough Fire Department as determined by the physical and psychological testing.
- Possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license and be eligible to legally operate a motor vehicle in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- All applicants must have reached their twenty first (21st) birthday before the deadline for submitting completed applications, or a maximum age of thirty-eight (38) on the date of the written examination.
- Complete Hazardous Materials Training -Operations Level or higher.
- Complete minimum 16 hour vehicle rescue training (PADOH or Fire Academy).
- Complete Essentials or Interior Firefighting: Live Fire Exercises (ELIF) or Interior Firefighting: No Live Fire Exercises (ELIF) or Bucks Basic Fire Academy or FF-1 from an accredited fire school.
- Possess Structural Burn Session Certificate from an accredited fire school.
- Possess current Professional Rescuer CPR/BLS and First Aid.
- Possess EMT Certification or will complete necessary certification for EMT within one (1) year of recruitment.
Entry level physical agility test shall be gender/age neutral and conducted in accordance with the following Physical Agility requirements:
- Quarter Mile: Applicant is required to run a distance of one quarter mile on a measured course n 110 second (one minute fifty seconds or less).
- Stretcher Carry: will be paired ff and required to lift and carry a stretcher with a simulated patient weighing approximately 180 pounds over a distance of 100 feet. Those applicants failing on the first attempt will be allowed to retake the exercise with an applicant who has successfully completed the exercise.
- Body Drag: An applicant is required to remove a simulated motor vehicle operator weighing 180 pounds, from behind the steering wheel of a motor vehicle and drag the simulated operator to a point of 50 feet from the vehicle.
- Aerial Ladder Climb: An applicant must wear a self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) provided by the Borough mount an aerial ladder fire apparatus, climb the aerial ladder to a height of 105 feet, and descend the ladder, dismount the apparatus, remove the SCBA, pre-evolution instructions will be given to the applicant and all activities must be performed in a safe manner. (Applicant is not required to be on air).
- Ladder Raise: An applicant shall remove a 24-foot extension ladder from the provided fire apparatus. The applicant must carry the ladder a distance of 50 feet to a building and raise the ladder to full extension. The applicant must carry a bundle consisting of 100 feet of 1 ¾ inch hose to the roof line and then back to the ground. Pre-evolution instructions will be given to the applicant an all activities must be performed in a safe manner.
Oral exams shall be conducted in accordance with Sections 3.13 fire civil service rules and regulations.
The cost of the entry level application and testing process shall be borne by the individual applicants. Checks should be submitted with the application and made payable to Dunmore Borough in the amount of $100.00. Entry Level Applications are available at the Dunmore Borough Building, 400 S. Blakely Street, Dunmore, Pennsylvania, between the hours of 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Applications must be completed and submitted no later than Friday, September 17, 2021
All Applicants claiming the following preference must supply proof at the time of application: Veteran’s Preference requires proof of service and honorable discharge; EMT certificate preference requires proof of certification; Part-Time Firefighter in the Borough of Dunmore requires proof of employment. All applicants must have reached their twenty-first (21) birthday before the deadline for submitting a completed application; or a maximum age of thirty-eight (38) on the date of the written examination.
Borough Manager, Dunmore